Republican Coffee Candidate Profiles: Marco Rubio
Marco Rubio Profile
Marco Rubio is bringing in a new era of American politics and leadership as the most prominent Latino politician in our country. He’s personally blazed the trail for a new way of life as a first-generation American citizen, having Cuban parents who immigrated in 1956 to the United States before the apex of Castro’s terror hit in 1959. Check out these fun facts about the most culturally and religiously diverse candidate in the GOP forefront for President:
- Rubio is the first Cuban-American to be elected Speaker of the Florida House. He served from 2000-2008 before running and winning a seat as a Florida Senator in 2010.
- Rubio’s wife is a former NFL Miami Dolphins cheerleader and he played football on a scholarship his freshman year of college.
- Rubio got his start in politics in 1996 when he was campaign chairman for Bob Dole’s presidential campaign in Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties in Florida.
- Rubio and Mike Huckabee have actually politically endorsed one another in the past, Rubio supporting Huckabee in 2008 in his race for Presidential candidate, and Huckabee cheering on Rubio for his Senate run against former FL Governor Charlie Crist in 2010.
- Rubio’s parents were poor, living in Miami when he was born and working as a bartender and a housekeeper. He was baptized as a Roman Catholic as a baby, and when their family moved to Las Vegas for a brief stint, they converted to the Mormon Church. When they moved back to Florida, Marco insisted they return to the Catholic Church, and they did. Since then, Rubio claims himself to be a devout Catholic, attending mass every Sunday morning, and also going to a Southern Baptist Church every Saturday evening with his wife and kids.
- In 2013, Rubio’s awkward break for a sip of water during his response speech to Obama’s State of the Union address went viral as GIF’s, memes and video impersonations. Rubio himself got in on the joke though, not taking himself too seriously, and tweeted a picture of the water bottle with the hashtag #GOPresponse. He also appeared the next morning on ABC News, all smiles, saying, “God has a funny way of reminding us we’re human. I needed a drink of water, what am I going to do?”
- Rubio has dabbled in the world of education, teaching political science as a professor at Florida International University since leaving FL state legislature in 2008.
Marco Rubio and his Freedom of Espresso
There is no doubt that when it comes to coffee, at least, Marco Rubio is our candidate of choice! With his Cuban heritage, Rubio likes his coffee served as espresso. And according to his campaign manager, he likes it as strong as possible an served black, in the traditional cubano style! Marco, do we have a bean for you!
(Information Sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ZxJVnM5Gs,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWvbSuo0_k , http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/marco-rubio-things-facts-biography/2016/02/03/id/712535/, http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/04/13/399336765/7-things-you-should-know-about-marco-rubio , http://www.mrctv.org/blog/9-interesting-facts-about-marco-rubio)